Companion Animal Veterinarians
of the NZVA
- Companion Animal Veterinarians
- Complementary Veterinary Medicine Branch
- Deer Branch
- Epidemiology, Food Safety, Animal Welfare and Biosecurity Branch
- Industry Veterinarians Branch
- Large Animal Veterinary Technicians Group
- New Zealand Equine Veterinary Association
- Pig Veterinary Society
- Retired Veterinarians Network
- Society of Dairy Cattle Veterinarians
- Society of Sheep and Beef Cattle Veterinarians
- Veterinary Business Branch
- Wildlife Society
Companion Animal Veterinarians Branch
A thriving companion animal veterinary profession in New Zealand. We work towards this by promoting and supporting all aspects of companion animal veterinary practice.
How we do this:
- We support our members’ Continuing Professional Development by providing educational opportunities such as newsletters, grants, the Veterinary Refresher Scheme and allegiance with international veterinary organisations.
- As the technical content experts regarding companion animal health and welfare for the NZVA, we contribute our knowledge to relevant NZVA advocacy and positions.
- We are a resource for the NZVA Veterinary Team, assisting with queries that arise in everyday practice.
- We recognise the outstanding work done by companion animal veterinarians with our annual service award and life memberships.
- We support projects that encourage responsible pet ownership and companion animal welfare by providing representation on the New Zealand Companion Animal Trust.
- We encourage clinical veterinarians to pursue research that benefits their patients by supporting Healthy Pets New Zealand as their Research in Practice partner.
CAV was established in 1972 as a Special Interest Branch of the New Zealand Veterinary Association (NZVA) for veterinarians with a focus on small animal work.
From 2021, membership is included for NZVA members as part of your annual subscription fee – sign-up when you join or renew your membership. To join outside the membership renewal period, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
These are CAV members recognised for the outstanding service they have provided to the branch over their careers:
Dr Boyd Jones
Dr Maggie Gething
Dr Catherine Smith
Dr Ross Blanks
Dr Allan Bell
Dr Craig Irving