Companion Animal Veterinarians
of the NZVA
Home » Branches » Companion Animals Veterinarians
- Companion Animal Veterinarians
- Complementary Veterinary Medicine Branch
- Deer Branch
- Epidemiology, Food Safety, Animal Welfare and Biosecurity Branch
- Industry Veterinarians Branch
- Large Animal Veterinary Technicians Group
- New Zealand Equine Veterinary Association
- Pig Veterinary Society
- Retired Veterinarians Network
- Society of Dairy Cattle Veterinarians
- Society of Sheep and Beef Cattle Veterinarians
- Veterinary Business Branch
- Wildlife Society
Companion Animal Veterinarians Branch
A thriving companion animal veterinary profession in New Zealand. We work towards this by promoting and supporting all aspects of companion animal veterinary practice.
How we do this:
- We support our members’ Continuing Professional Development by providing educational opportunities such as newsletters, grants, the Veterinary Refresher Scheme and allegiance with international veterinary organisations.
- As the technical content experts regarding companion animal health and welfare for the NZVA, we contribute our knowledge to relevant NZVA advocacy and positions.
- We are a resource for the NZVA Veterinary Team, assisting with queries that arise in everyday practice.
- We recognise the outstanding work done by companion animal veterinarians with our annual service award and life memberships.
- We support projects that encourage responsible pet ownership and companion animal welfare by providing representation on the New Zealand Companion Animal Trust.
- We encourage clinical veterinarians to pursue research that benefits their patients by supporting Healthy Pets New Zealand as their Research in Practice partner.
CAV was established in 1972 as a Special Interest Branch of the New Zealand Veterinary Association (NZVA) for veterinarians with a focus on small animal work.
From 2021, membership is included for NZVA members as part of your annual subscription fee – sign-up when you join or renew your membership. To join outside the membership renewal period, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Companion Animal Veterinarians Branch is operated by an executive committee of up to nine veterinarians from around New Zealand. The committee has four meetings each year and supports the branch by providing opinions and expertise between meetings.
Being a member of the committee is an excellent means of professional development as well as a way to give back to the profession. Costs to attend meetings are covered by the branch, along with a locum fee. Members also receive NZVA conference registration at student rates and a complimentary ticket to the annual CAV dinner.
- Toni Anns
- Nina Field
- Becky Murphy
- Shanaka Sarathchandra
Companion Quarterly Editor
These are CAV members recognised for the outstanding service they have provided to the branch over their careers:
Dr Boyd Jones
Dr Maggie Gething
Dr Catherine Smith
Dr Ross Blanks
Dr Allan Bell
You can get in touch with our committee by emailing email@example.com or through the NZVA office.