Companion Animal Veterinarians
of the NZVA
- Club Practitioners Branch
- Companion Animal Veterinarians
- Complementary Veterinary Medicine Branch
- Deer Branch
- Epidemiology, Food safety, Animal welfare and Biosecurity Branch
- Industry Veterinarians Branch
- Large Animal Veterinary Technicians Group
- New Zealand Equine Veterinary Association
- Pig Veterinary Society
- Retired Veterinarians Network
- Society of Dairy Cattle Veterinarians
- Society of Sheep and Beef Cattle Veterinarians
- Veterinary Business Branch
- Wildlife Society
Companion Animal Veterinarians Branch
A thriving companion animal veterinary profession in New Zealand. We work towards this by promoting and supporting all aspects of companion animal veterinary practice.
How we do this:
- We support our members’ Continuing Professional Development by providing many educational opportunities such as newsletters, grants, the Veterinary Refresher Scheme, and allegiance with international veterinary organisations.
- As the technical content experts for the NZVA regarding companion animal health and welfare, we contribute our knowledge to relevant NZVA advocacy and positions.
- We are a resource for the NZVA Veterinary Team, assisting with queries that arise in everyday practice.
- We recognise the outstanding work done by companion animal veterinarians with our annual service award and life memberships.
- We support projects that encourage responsible pet ownership and companion animal welfare by providing representation on the New Zealand Companion Animal Trust.
- We encourage clinical veterinarians to pursue research that benefits their patients by supporting Healthy Pets New Zealand as their Research in Practice partner.
CAV was established in 1972 as a special interest branch of the New Zealand Veterinary Association (NZVA) for veterinarians with a focus on small animal work.
From 2021, membership is included for NZVA members as part of your annual subscription fee – sign-up when you join or renew your membership. Or, to join outside the membership renewal period please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Companion Animal Veterinarians Branch is operated by an executive committee of up to nine veterinarians from around New Zealand. The committee has 4 meeting days each year and support the branch work by providing opinions and expertise by email and teleconferencing between meetings.
Being a member of the committee is an excellent means of professional development as well as a way to "give back" to the profession. Costs to attend meetings are covered by the branch, along with a locum fee. Members also receive NZVA conference registration at student rates and a complimentary ticket to the annual CAV dinner.
- Toni Anns
- Nina Field
- Alison Pickering
- Sally Aitken
- Becky Murphy
- Shanaka Sarathchandra
Companion Quarterly Editor
These are CAV members recognised for the outstanding service they have provided to the branch over their careers:
Dr Boyd Jones
Dr Maggie Gething
Dr Catherine Smith
Dr Ross Blanks
Dr Allan Bell