Celebrating 100 years
Home » Join the NZVA » Recent graduates
- About us
- Join the NZVA
- For veterinary professionals
- For the public
- Jobs & classifieds
- NZVA positions and resources
- Contact us
- 2023 Conference
- Flood resources
NZVA membership for recent graduates
The first few years of your veterinary career are exciting, but they can be challenging if you don’t know what to expect.
The New Zealand Veterinary Association (NZVA) offers a range of benefits and support for recent graduates to help you get the most out of your veterinary career.
Get guidance and support from a trusted mentor as you start your veterinary career. The NZVET Mentoring Support programme matches new graduates with experienced veterinarians who are happy to share their knowledge, skills and experience to help you further your career.
Great deals on CPD
Education doesn’t stop when you graduate. As member of the NZVA, you’ll enjoy discounts on courses and events to support your continuing professional development (CPD).
- Track your CPD activity and achievements through MyCPD
- 50% off our biggest event of the year, the NZVA Conference
- Save 50% on veterinary courses, workshops and webinars
- 20% off all Vetlexicon online encyclopedia subscriptions
- Free recordings of past webinars
Career advice and development
Advance your veterinary career with resources, support and opportunities to help you thrive.
- Check out our jobs and classifieds board to find a veterinary job.
- Get access to helpful resources for finding your first veterinary job – from writing your CV and interviewing to assessing your contract.
- Apply for grants and scholarships from our Special Interest Branches.
- Develop wellbeing strategies as you transition from being a student to a qualified veterinarian with our range of wellbeing resources.
Veterinary publications and journals
Stay up to date with the latest news and research about the veterinary profession with our range of publications. With an NZVA membership, you get access to:
- VetScript: our bi-monthly magazine celebrating the veterinary profession
- New Zealand Veterinary Journal: peer-reviewed articles covering all aspects of veterinary science
- SciQuest: a library of New Zealand and Australian veterinary publications
- VetNews: our weekly e-newsletter with news and opportunities from the NZVA
Recent Graduate Advisory Group
Have your say on matters affecting recent graduates through our dedicated Recent Graduate Advisory Group. Work with the NZVA President to identify issues and opportunities relating to graduates, and make your voice heard on the NZVA Board through our newly appointed New Graduate Observer role.
Plus all our other member benefits!
We’re here to support you throughout your career. When you join the NZVA as a recent graduate, you’ll get access to all our exclusive member benefits.
I recommend that veterinarians join the NZVA community for just that: to be part of the community of veterinarians across New Zealand from all corners of the profession... The NZVA facilitates interaction and engagement with your colleagues from Kaitaia to Bluff, pocket pets to zoo animals, clinical practice to industry and everything in between.
– Corey Regnerus-Kell
Frequently asked questions
You can join the NZVA if you are:
- a veterinarian registered with the Veterinary Council of New Zealand (VCNZ)
- a retired veterinarian
- a student attending Massey University’s School of Veterinary Science
- working in a role related to the veterinary industry (associate membership)
To become a member of the NZVA:
- Log in to your NZVA account (or create a new one if you’ve never been a member)
- Go to our registration page and select the relevant membership tier
- Complete the online form
- Sit back and wait for our membership team to contact you (usually within 48 hours)
NZVA membership is valid from 1 January to 31 December each year.
Your membership will auto-renew on 1 January, provided we’ve received payment. We start sending membership renewal invoices for the upcoming year in November. If your employer pays for your membership, we’ll contact them with membership renewal instructions.
All membership invoices for the upcoming year are due on 30 January.
If you have outstanding membership fees due after this date, we reserve the right to cancel your membership and all membership benefits.
If you have any questions about membership or want to update your membership category, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When you join the NZVA (or renew your membership), we’ll ask you to nominate your main work interest and select any Special Interest Branches (SIBs) or Regional Networks (RNs) you want to join. If you want to join a SIB or RN part way through the year, please email us at email@example.com.
Yes, but no refunds will be provided if you cancel your membership part way through the year. To cancel your membership, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.