Sustaining your future
- About us
- Join the NZVA
- For veterinary professionals
- For the public
- Jobs & classifieds
- NZVA positions and resources
- Contact us
- Flood resources
- Workplace Workup
Member benefits for veterinarians
The New Zealand Veterinary Association Te Pae Kīrehe (NZVA) represents over 70% of registered veterinarians in Aotearoa, making us the largest community of veterinary professionals in New Zealand. When you join the NZVA, you'll get access to a vibrant, supportive community as well as fantastic benefits and opportunities throughout your career.
Sustaining your future through professional development
The NZVA wants you to thrive. We provide resources, support and opportunities to help you grow throughout your career.
Great deals on CPD
Enjoy discounts on courses and events to support your continuing professional development (CPD).
- Plan, track and share your CPD activity through our online MyCPD platform
- Save up to 50% on tickets to our annual NZVA Conference
- Significant discounts on courses, workshops and webinars throughout the year
- Get 12 months access to four Vetlexicon online encyclopaedias for just £53.28 (regular pricing starts at £40 a month for one subscription)
- 30% off CRC Press or Routledge books through Taylor & Francis
- Free recordings of past webinars
- Free enrolment in our professional skills for veterinary teams course (worth $400)
Veterinary publications and journals
Stay up to date with the latest news and research about the veterinary profession with our range of publications and newsletters.
- VetScript: our flagship magazine celebrating the veterinary profession, published every two months
- New Zealand Veterinary Journal: peer-reviewed articles covering all aspects of veterinary science
- SciQuest: a library of New Zealand and Australian veterinary publications
- VetNews: our weekly e-newsletter with news and opportunities from the NZVA
- Special interest branch publications: Regular newsletters from our companion animal, dairy cattle, equine, sheep and beef cattle, wildlife and complementary veterinary medicine branches.
Resources and guides
Access a range of free resources including best practice guidelines, templates, posters and member technical notes.
- Evidence-based policies and position statements you can use to inform conversations with clients
- Member Technical Notes, which provide additional background information on certain issues
- Best Practice Guidelines, which include detailed advice on specific procedures such as vaccinating companion animals, desexing, euthanasia and disbudding
- Templates and forms you can use at your practice
- Posters and social media templates to help you educate clients on animal welfare and veterinary care
Advance your veterinary career with resources and opportunities to help you thrive.
- Find your next veterinary job using our jobs and classifieds board
- Join our mentoring programme to get guidance and support from an experienced professional as you start your career
- Apply for grants and scholarships from our special interest branches
Sustaining your future through advocacy
The NZVA is your voice. We advocate for and with members on matters impacting the veterinary profession.
Collaboration and representation
The NZVA represents the veterinary profession on a variety of committees and working groups. We make sure your voice is heard and your interests are considered.
We work with government and industry partners on your behalf to inform public debate, opinion, legislation, regulations and policy relating to animals, humans and the environment. Key areas where we advocated for the veterinary profession in 2023 include:
- animal welfare
- emergency response and disaster management
- veterinary education
- exotic disease response
- public confidence in veterinarians
Have your say
Help steer the future of the veterinary profession. Through the NZVA, you have plenty of opportunities to make your voice heard by:
- voting at meetings
- volunteering for a special interest branch, NZVA Committee or working group
- running for a position on the NZVA Board
- sharing feedback via a consultation survey
- joining our Recent Graduate Advisory Group
Sustaining your future through support
We are first and foremost here for our members. As an NZVA member, you get dedicated support for yourself, your team and your business.
Support your whole team with valuable resources on mental health and wellbeing.
- Access to the NZVA Wellbeing Hub
- Free counselling for veterinarians, funded through the NZVA’s Elizabeth Veterinary Benevolent Fund (EVBF)
- Free enrolment in our six-week wellbeing and resilience course (worth $100)
- Webinars, articles and e-books on burnout, compassion fatigue, stress, trauma and emergency response
- Workplace culture resources for employers and employees
- Complementary access to Āki, the MAS health and wellbeing portal
Attract new employees and retain existing ones with business, management and leadership resources.
- News media and social media guides
- $200 off your first Storbie website
- Free demo from Ordio, including a voiceover artist and professional scripting
- Health and safety templates
- Free 15-minute consultation with People3 to discuss any HR concerns
- Listing in our Find-A-Vet practice directory
- Webinars, guides and templates to help your business reduce carbon emissions
- Discounts on leadership and management courses
- Free enrolment in our mentoring course
Support for students
Students attending Massey University’s School of Veterinary Science – Tāwharau Ora get FREE membership with the NZVA for the duration of their study.
Support for graduates
The first few years of your veterinary career are exciting, but they can be challenging if you don’t know what to expect. We offer a range of benefits and support for recent graduates to help you get the most out of your veterinary career.
Exclusive member discounts
We’ve partnered with a range of organisations to bring you exclusive deals for you and your workplace.
- PerksCard: Discounts on hundreds of your favourite brands
- MobilCard: Savings on fuel at Mobil service stations
- People3: Quality, practical HR advice (free consultation)
- Storbie: Bespoke websites for veterinary clinics
- Vetlexicon: 12-month subscription to four online encyclopaedias for just £53.28
- Ordio: Tailored voice recordings that play when someone calls your clinic (free demo, including a voiceover artist and professional scripting
- Taylor & Francis: 30% off CRC Press or Routledge books
- 2degrees Business: Exclusive discounts on 2degrees Business plans
International association membership
The NZVA is a member of the International Veterinary Officers Council (IVOC). IVOC is an annual meeting to promote dialogue and collaboration between:
- Australian Veterinary Association (AVA)
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
- British Veterinary Association (BVA)
- Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA)
- South African Veterinary Association (SAVA)
- New Zealand Veterinary Association (NZVA)
NZVA members who move to an IVOC country can join that country’s association and receive the first three months of annual membership for free.
Sustaining your future through community
With over 3,500 members, the NZVA is the largest community of veterinary professionals in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Special interest branches
Expand your knowledge and connect with colleagues through our special interest branches (SIBs). As an NZVA member, you’ll get exclusive access to publications, newsletters and online forums to keep you up to date with SIB news and activities.
Connect with veterinary professionals in your area and build your social and professional network. NZVA members can attend regular regional network meetings for free.
Members-only Facebook group
Get updates, support and advice from veterinarians around the country in our private Facebook group.
Retired Veterinarians Network
Keep in touch with former colleagues and stay up-to-date with the veterinary profession through our Retired Veterinarians Network.